importing and saving of pictures

Hi, I'm considering opening a bug against f-spot but first I want to
make sure that I'm using it properly, cause I don't quite understand the
way it imports and saves pictures.

When you import a picture it gets stored in your folder of choice,
right? But it's not stored there but rather in sub-folders corresponding
to the year, month and day the picture was taken. This is the first
thing I'd like to ask, don't you think year → month would be enough? I
don't take so many pictures a month that I need them stored in
sub-folders.

The second thing is, there's something wrong with my camera and it saves
all pictures as taken on 1/1/2002. So, when I import any pictures,
f-spot copies them to the folder ~/fotos/2002/2/2.

No big deal, right? I can always change their date from f-spot, right?
Well, I can, but it seems to serve no purpose. One would expect f-spot
to move the pictures from /2002/2/2 to the correct folders, but it
doesn't. Also, it doesn't seem to actually save or modify the files,
since removing them from the collection and adding them again places
them in /2002/2/2 again.

So, am I doing something wrong here? What is the correct way to deal
with unproperly labelled pictures in f-spot?