Re: importing and saving of pictures

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 14:08 +0100, Stephane Delcroix wrote:
> Personally, and I think that's what the designer of that part had in
> mind, I'm seeing tha Photos folder as a blackbox managed by f-spot. It
> should have been a db or whatever, but thanks god it's a filesystem so,
> if something goes wrong, I'll not loose my photos.

This is getting a bit sidetracked from the original conversation, but
this is something that annoys me, so I'll toss in my 0.02€. Its a bit of
a twosided sword, the back end directory structure. On one hand, I do
support the back end being a black box with f-spot as the front end, but
on the other hand, for a lot of users, the directory structure is
essentially meaningless without the front end. If for some reason a user
wishes to stop using f-spot, he is left with a cumbersome directory
structure of a sort he might not have created on his own.

Surely many of you will agree that say 100 pictures from a four day trip
are hard to browse using the file system, when they are spread into four
folders corresponding to the day. A much more convinient, and logical,
folder structure would be simply "YYYY-MM - Description of trip" for
example, atleast IMO. Of course for random shots not belonging to a
larger collection, the current method is fine, though cumbersome in some
situations.

Ideally I'd like to have the directory structure configurable. F-Spot
could have a path name setting in preferences, with specified wildcards
for year, month, date, a short description given on import, and so on.
This would be similar to options provided in some CD ripping software,
grip for example. With a feature like this provided, I personally would
use a setting something like "<YYYY>/<MM> - <description>".

Sorry for the rambling,

  JS

--
Juha Sorensen <demosh kolumbus fi>