Re: Missing features

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 04:27:11PM +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> > The jpeg crop does not seem to be lossless. Lossless jpeg crop is a
> > feature I think is important.
>
> Mmm? JPEG has a lossy nature no matter how hard you try :) Did you
> mean 100% compression quality (like in GIMP)?

Some operations like rotating 90 degrees and croping can be done lossless.

A description:
http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/lossless-rotation.html

I used this program before (with wine):
http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/
it is a GUI-frontend to jpegtran:
http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/

> > The opposite feature would also be great. My camera can record the
> > images in both jpeg and raw at the same time. Even though it is two
> > different input files they should only appear as two different versions
> > in the database.
>
> Ah, finally someone to shoot RAW+JPEG! Could you please tell me
> offlist why you need that? :)

Since I don't have programs to modify raw right now I'm using the jpegs.
If I for some image need the raw-file I'll have it because I store both.