Re: [Evolution] Support for Oauth2 and Office365

On Mon, 2022-11-21 at 08:51 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
On Sun, 2022-11-20 at 16:02 -0500, Adam Stein wrote:
I had set up an application but it never worked (that error I
mentioned). Could be the Evolution application uses EWS while I was
trying with IMAP specifically. Supposedly IMAP will be enabled under
oauth2, so when it is for my company, I'll see if the error goes
away. If not, might have to file a bug.

        Hi,
wait a bit. Do you mean that you did set up your own application in
Azure and you wanted to use that one, instead of any predefined keys?
That's perfectly fine, but you really should mention it at the
beginning. I suppose you did set up your application as is described on
the previously referenced wiki page. I did not try that for a long
time, the last time when Azure changed their web interface, but I guess
it should still work, because there's only one scope to be used.

Ehm, IMAP? Why IMAP? Those are two totally different worlds, and
protocols. The OAuth2 for IMAP has nothing to do with OAuth2 for EWS,
they are configured differently.

You forgot to mention both things in the previous mail for some reason.
I guess you know the answers are very different when these things are
known. I expected you use things unmodified, not that you change the
application ID or even that you (want to) use IMAP.

Anyway, you get much more with EWS, thus I suggest you stick with it.

        Bye,
        Milan

Let me give you the big picture which I didn't mention originally. All I need is access to email and calendar. To that end, I had always used IMAP to fetch my email via fetchmail. I like having all my email in the same inbox and added an Evolution rule to color my work emails differently so they would stand out. Calendar access was done by adding an account to Gnome Control Center which Evolution used. I set up an account within Evolution to send mail. This way, I had everything I wanted (retrieve email via fetchmail, send email via Evolution, calendar via Gnome account).

When Basic Auth was turned off, obviously, those connections didn't work anymore (except sending email, Basic Auth on that won't be turned off til Jan 1 I think). My first thought was to replace the existing functionality using oauth2. Version 7 of fetchmail supports oauth2, but isn't officially released yet, so I got the sources, compiled and tried that as a first attempt. Didn't work, had an authentication error. Then I tried email-oauth2-proxy which is a Python program that acts as a proxy for IMAP or POP requests so an oauth2 unaware program can call that to proxy oauth2 requests. Also failed, most likely same exact reason fetchmail failed.

Then I tried to add an EWS account to Evolution. I used the application I created (reading various web pages), but now realize it had permissions for IMAP, but not EWS, so obviously not set up to use for EWS requests. In all the web pages relating to this, I missed the predefined keys. Then I saw the thread on the mailing list which was about my exact problem, so hence my first post.

I can live with Evolution having a second inbox. I still don't need anything more than sending/receiving email and calendar, so I don't know what full EWS functionality gives me. Would be nice if the title reflected all inboxes if there was new email rather than just the "On This Computer" inbox, but better than it was.

Thanks for pointing out the predefined keys.

--
Adam (adam csh rit edu)