Re: [Evolution] How do I make my own hotkeys?

On Tue, 2022-07-19 at 11:48 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2022-07-19 at 03:17 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
See "Help 🡒 Contents 🡒 Common Other Questions and Problems 🡒
Customizing tool bar and menu items".

Thanks Andre! Using your instructions I was able to use "n" as the
hotkey for next email instead of Ctrl+PgDn, and "p" for previous
email
instead of Ctrl+PgUp.

I've never seen those Ctrl keys used in that way. Is that how your
keyboard accesses the arrow keys?

Yes it was, the way Evolution came from the factory. I replaced them
with n and p.

The standard keys are Up and Down arrows for previous and Next
message, '.' or ']' for next unread message and ',' or '[' for
previous unread message. This is in the on-line Help.

I get a lot of email per day, like probably 200-300 non-spams and a
heck of a lot more spam. Being a touch typist, I prefer not to take my
hands of typists home position to do anything as frequent as next and
previous, hence my replacement. Reaching for an arrow key every time
would waste a lot of my time.

The good news is, except for intermittent problems where the list
forgets to scroll, n and p work perfectly.

By the way, if anybody listening is a newbie, I'd highly advise you to
back up all versions of your ~/.config/evolution/accels before any
modification, because Evolution tampers with the file every time it
runs. For instance, if you change a hotkey from F10 to <primary>q and
comment out the F10 line for future reference, the next time Evolution
runs it will delete the commented F10 line because there's a <primary>q
for the same thing. Don't save info by commenting.

And of course, as all the documentation warns, be sure to quit all
instances of Evolution before either backing up or modifying
~/.config/evolution/accels.

I have a shellscript, called bupsky, that's perfect for these pre-edit
backups:

#!/bin/sh

buptrunk=/scratch/bup
curdir=$(pwd | sed -e "s/.*\///")
bupdir=$buptrunk/$curdir
now=$(date +%Y%m%d_%H_%M_%S)
src=../$curdir
dst=$bupdir/${curdir}_$now

if test ! -d $bupdir; then
        mkdir $bupdir
fi

cp -RpL $src $dst
#ls -ltr $bupdir | tail -n 4
echo backup written to $dst

The preceding gives each backup tree a handy yyyymmdd_hh_mm_ss
timestamp so you never worry about backups overwriting each other, and
you can always delete old ones when necessary.

Doubtlessly you'll want to change the location of $buptrunk to
something meeting your own system'd directory structure.

SteveT