Re: [Evolution] Restoring Evolution

On Tue, 2022-08-30 at 11:51 -0500, c. marlow wrote:
On Tue, 2022-08-30 at 11:49 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

I would possibly go as far as to say that that particular
functionality
has run its course and could be consigned to the big bit-bucket
in
the
sky.

SEVERELY DISAGREE... I'd go back to Claws if the backup / restore
feature was removed from Evo.

What about if there was an external program - say something called
'evolution-backup' - that you could run to do a backup. Is it
absolutely necessary to have it as a menu item?

Even though I fully use IMAP now with Fastmail, I still use the
Backup / Restore feature to restore the years of emails I have stored
under " Saved on this computer" I think is what it says..  Also,  the
backup and restore feature, restores not only my email but my account
information too, to where when the restore is done, all I have to do
is input my passwords and boom! I am back up and running in like 10
sec.

There's nothing magical about the Evolution backup. It is just a gzip
tar file of .local/share/evolution (for the mail files) and
.config/evolution (for the configuration). In the past, when the config
was stored in dconf, it was a bit more complicated since the dconf keys
needed to be dumped and then backed up. But now everything is stored in
.config/evolution.  That's also why a much better way of dealing with
backups is to use standard backup procedures with versioning and so on
- then just restore the two directories from the nightly backups like
anything else you need to recover.

P.