Re: [Evolution] Restoring Evolution

On Tue, 2022-08-30 at 21:33 -0700, Mr. J wrote:
So there's something about the process or
the external hard drive (or both?) that prevents the creation of a
valid .tar.gz backup file on my hard drive.  It was recently
formatted, so I'm at a loss to explain.

Hi,

while even a brand new drive could be broken, I'm still sceptic. Drives
have got mechanisms to detect and mark bad blocks and to automagically
rewrite data. It could happen that a block was ok when writing and got
broken 10 minutes later when trying to read, this is possible, but not
much likely and it unlikely was a write error, the drive couldn't
workaround, since such a write error more or less without doubts would
have caused error messages.