Re: [Evolution] Restoring Evolution

On Tue, 2022-08-30 at 12:03 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2022-08-30 at 11:49 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

I've suggested in the past that we should change the terminology
and
call it something else, but so far no-one has come up with a good
alternative name. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I agree entirely with you. I think the "backup/restore" is generally
abused rather than used - in that it used for things it was never
meant
to be used for.

Even the real use for it (i.e. transferring settings to another
machine) is mis-used for syncing things between multiple machines by
some people. Yes, the argument of "it works so why not" is OK, except
when it no longer works when doing that and people grouch that
something broke.

I would possibly go as far as to say that that particular
functionality
has run its course and could be consigned to the big bit-bucket in
the
sky.  Perhaps take it off the main 'File' menu and change it to
something like "Save account settings" in the preferences and not
backup the actual stored messages.

I would support this, though I'm sure some people might be upset about
it. No-one expects their browser to have a built-in backup method, so
why should their email system? I don't think other MUAs do this.

poc
___
You right some of us maybe a bit put-off if this function was to be removed. I use it sparingly (2 or 3 times a year) as a backup of emails and contacts. I also regularly trim my emails to keep the file size small and when I do a backup, I delete the oldest one so I only ever have 2 backup files.
I have also used backup/restore to transfer from one computer to another usually without any issues. I once got into trouble but it was my one fault, because I stupidly backed-up from a newer version and tried restored to an older version! (different distros have different versions in their repos!?). I got out of that one because I also regularly 'image' my drive (using Rescuezilla). I don't use a backup utility as my data is mostly not critical and does not change that much (I'm retired)
As for other MUAs I don't know about Linux once, but, coming from Windows, MS Oultlook keeps everything in one file (.pst) so it's easy to just copy this file to a backup drive, no need for a backup/restore function.
Unfortunately none of that helps the OP with his corrupted backup - I have not enough knowledge to offer any advice - sorry.

JP