Re: [Evolution] Why does Thunderbird work and Evolution fail?

To the OP - Sorry for the double up, forgot to hit "reply list" :)

Just a probably completely wrong suggestion...  Setting up a new router yesterday, same machine same IP address same everything else except the new router also handles IPv6 and may've talked to gmail on that.

Before I could get Thunderbird in I had to respond to Google's "critical security alert" and click the 'yes this was me' box. Nothing else I tried would let Thunderbird connect.

Check for one of those. Also check the "allow insecure apps" setting is turned on (yeah, like your web browser (especially Chrome!) is going to be more secure than Evo or TB!), although if Thunderbird is working that should be.

Gmail got its customer base by being simple to use. They have now gone and made it damned annoying to use. But there's a lot of work in changing after using them for so many years. Must get off my backside and rebuild my own server.