Re: [Evolution] troublesome cache

Hi Pete it really is driving me nuts
the offending file is the one with 5050 in the name

richard@richard-Inspiron-3580:~/.cache/evolution/mail$ ls -ls
total 12
4 drwx------ 3 richard richard 4096 Feb  5 08:54
0656774d545ea2bb57c9be746823f7d3f567198c
4 drwx------ 2 richard richard 4096 Feb  5 15:35
1527769677.8716.2@richard-Inspiron-N5030
4 drwxrwxrwx 3 richard richard 4096 Feb  5 15:57
7bb2e693532a510fb41eca211d9e5a026556fa10

I can shut down evo , delete that  directory, and as soon as evo is
restarted it reappears.

Yes, because that is the name of the cache directory that Evolution
creates. Evolution needs a cache directory in order to store its cache
so creates it if it doesn't exist.

I have tried deleting the account, from within evo
and
running sudo apt purge evolimple way of flushing the cache so it can
start as a
virgin installution
that should remove evo and all its config files,
then deleted .cache/evolution
but when I re install evo , everything that was deleted just reappeared

No. On Linux removing an application does not remove user configuration
files. In general re-installing things doesn't magically make things
work.

Now I suspect that as when a file is deleted the space it used still
contains the data, until overwritten
some mechanism may be recovering what was deleted.

No, absolutely not what is happening at all.

There must be a simple way of flushing the cache so it can start as a
virgin install
or getting rid of that mail directory.

Don't be fixated on the cache.  The cache just stores temporary files
to save continually getting data from the network. The account
configuration is stored elsewhere.  Andre has already pointed you to
information on where all the Evolution data files are.

Before playing with any of the configuration files you must ensure that
Evolution, and all it's ancillary programs are shut down.  Some of them
(such as dconf) maintain in-memory copies of the data that are written
out when the program shuts down.  (This DOES NOT apply to the cache.)

apologies for using html, the reason was line wrapping

Please avoid it if you can, and also avoid top posting on this list.

P.