Re: [Evolution] Automatic email selection when changing folder

Le 19-10-30 à 06 h 03, Pete Biggs a écrit :
I'm not aware of a way to change this behavior. While the use-case
makes sense for you, it may not for others, or for me at least. When I
search for a message and clear the filtering, I want to stay on that
found message. Even when I move away from that folder and return back.
When I want to move to the next/previous unread message quickly I use
Ctrl+]/Ctrl+[.

I would not add an option for the behavior you suggest.

I would agree with that.  It makes it seriously difficult to pull
together information in different emails in different folders if you
have to re-search for the email you were looking at if you just switch
folders.

It just depends on the user's workflow. I can honestly say that the default Evolution behavior is almost a deal-breaker. To use your own words, it makes it seriously difficult (for me) to use a software that decides (or more precisely that tries to guess) what I want to see. It's a really too basic assumption that users want to see again the last message viewed. We could argue that if a user wants to check again an email, he/she just has to open it in a new window. That's what I do with Thunderbird.

Same for unread emails. The software doesn't have any clue about if I want to view or not an unread email.

When I click on a folder in Evolution, I see it the same way than when I click on a bookmark in Firefox. If I click on the bookmark www.mozilla.org I don't want my browser to automatically redirect me to www.mozilla.org/firefox/new/ just because its the last page viewed on www.mozilla.org. I just want to go to the URL specified, then click (or not) myself on whatever link I want.

However, I don't want to argue about changing the default Evolution behavior. I just want to say that it really doesn't fit with my workflow and I think it would be a good thing to allow users to disable this basic email autoselection.

If no option is added about that, is it technically possible to write a plugin that modifies this behavior or it would have to be in the core?

Thanks,

Jean-Philippe