Re: [Evolution] encrypt if possible

On Fri, 2019-05-10 00:03 +0200, Ángel wrote as excerpted:
The problem is, you need to send so many mails in the clear, you end up
with a default of not encrypting any.

Well, the default of not encrypting is exactly why I'd appreciate an option
that enables encryption automatically if the recipient's key is available.

Every email that is encrypted is better than an email not being encrypted,
IMHO. Same with HTTP/S: I try to visit all sites using SSL but if that is not
possible, I usually accept the connection without SSL as well (but I then
know, e.g., not to enter any confidential data).

And what in cases where you send to multiple recipients and one of
them doesn't have the public key?

IMHO you should send it in the clear. This is opportunistic encryption.
Half-encrypting the mail seems more confusing than "Sorry, it couldn't be
sent encrypted while also sending it to John"

It had to be expected that there are different opinions on this. :) I agree
that sending the email multiple times (encrypted and non-encrypted) would be
confusing.

Personally, I'd expect the error message that I see now if I tick "always
encrypt" and send an email to a recipient for which there is no GPG key
available. In other words:

1. "encrypt if a recipient's key is available" (or similar) is activated
   in the settings
2. I try to send a message to two recipients: one for which a key is
   available (a example com), one for which there is no key available
   (b example com)
3. Evolution shows an error that there is no key available for
   b example com (and ideally, that it tries to encrypt this email because
   there is a key available for a example com).

But again, I see that there are the two opinions on how to handle this
situation and they are both totally valid.

One way to make transparent to the user is to make the behavior explicit in
the preferences, e.g., with a drop down menu element showing three options:

  Encrypt automatically?

    * "never"
    * "if all recipients' keys are available"
    * "if any recipient's key is available"

especially if you agreed with the other recipients to always encrypt
messages.

I think that should be a setting for the Contact (like "wants HTML"), that
(independently to this proposed setting) could trigger an alert if sending
in plain
to a contact marked as "always send encrypted" (not sure if it should also
change
automatically a plaintext default if sending to contacts with that tag and
for which we have a key).

That'd be okay as well. Although, one could argue that after importing a key, users would also have to
remember to change this setting for the contact in order to have the correspondence with that person
encrypted automatically.

Best,

Lukas