Re: [Evolution] Outlook Style Manual Archiving - Is there a way to do it?

Thomas,
Thanks for your suggestion, although I do want to ultimately delete
them and clearly your method would do that, I do want to keep the mails
in a separate file before they are deleted from the live folders.

Using your procedure I could see that I could select all the files in
the deleted folder and then export them to an mbox file before doing as
you say and hitting delete.

In Outlook which I am very familiar with with when I was a Windows
user, the manual archive would remove the email from each folder and
recreate the same folder structure in an archive.pst file and then
would remove the email from the live folders.  The beauty of this (and
what I am trying to achieve in Evo if possible) is that you end up with
a file that can be opened in the email package should I ever need to go
back to the files to check something. In outlook you would see the
opened file as another mail folder in the left pane and it would
replicate the folder structure like the live folders so that it's easy
to locate emails from specific people.

I am not running the latest version of evolution app here, but I think one can configure both the whole IMAP account or individual folders to be copied (mirrored) locally.
That should have your desired folder structure, right? Then just do your regular evolution app backup, before deleting the older messages.
When you have to research an older message, open that archive from your storage medium, extract either the whole tar or parts of it) to a separate folder and point evolution to it (either import or some other method which I don't recall right now).
Then use evolution app search to get the desired information.

Thomas