Re: [Evolution] lost local folders when migrating data

On Thu, 2019-04-18 at 09:52 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 07:20 -0400, John Sauter wrote:
I noticed something unusual in the left pane of Evolution.  After
my
e- mail accounts but before "Search Folders" there is a line
"local_mbox".

      Hi,
that's the backup evolution was talking about before the migration.
You
can see it in Edit->Preferences->Mail Accounts too.

When I click on it, it reveals no contents.

This is odd. The listing you gave suggests it's a maildir structure,
thus what really had been in ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/.
You
mentioned a power failure, maybe the account is not set properly. You
can create a new mail account of type "Maildir-format mail
directories"
and point it to this backup, which should show you the files again.
If
not, then delete the folders.db file from that folder (or rather more
it away) and start evolution, which will recreate it.

I do not know why you've been asked for the migration, that might be
some fault on the disk or something. The content of the "..maildir++"
file in there is important. A similar file should be seen in the
~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/.
      Bye,
      Milan

Something in my Evolution data apparently became corrupted.  I
tried deleting ~/.cache/evolution and restoring
~/.local/share/evolution/ and .config/evolution/ from an April 10
backup, but when I start Evolution it still insists on trying to
convert my files to maildir format, and failing after printing this
message to the system log: "migrate_mbox_to_maildir: Failed to make
directory '/home/jsauter/.local/share/evolution/mail/local': File
exists".  I concluded that my April 10 backup was already corrupt.

I was able to restore my data from an April 8 evolution backup.  Having
done that I created a new account of type "Maildir-format mail
directories" (thank you for the hint, I didn't know that was possible).
I moved all of my local data from On This Computer to that account,
which I put on a disk that I back up regularly.  My evolution backups
are now much smaller.

Thank you all for your help.
    John Sauter (John_Sauter systemeyescomputerstore com)

--
PGP fingerprint E24A D25B E5FE 4914 A603  49EC 7030 3EA1 9A0B 511E