Re: [Evolution] Filtering Emails.... Why don't they work? ( Richard)

On Tue, 2018-07-17 at 10:19 -0500, Christopher Marlow wrote:
On Mon, 2018-07-16 at 19:26 +0100, Richard Bown wrote:

   > If I understand your problem correctly you have multiple mail
   > accounts, probably the one supplied by your ISP and one from
MSN
   > tied to a windows installation.

Yes on the multiple email accounts

And no, on ISP based account... I have the following type accounts. I
have my domain in which my emails end with @CWM030.COM

And then I have my @MSN.com account in which my domain host uses to
send me emails in case getting hacked, to let me know that there's
going to be a scheduled outtage is going to occure etc. And reciept's
when I pay my yearly dues.

If that is the case, the simplest solution is to forward the mail
arriving in to your MSN to the mail account supplied to you by your
ISP.
That way you can just use the ISPs IMAP server to get all your
mail.
Don't forget on the forwarding setting in MSN to deleted the
original
 message once forwarded, unless you want a back up. You should end
up
with no duplicates then.

I was doing at one time actually.... I was having my domain pick up
emails from the accounts I hardly use now days.. AOL, etc etc....
But,
for some reason I stopped doing that.

You see I keep an archive of EVERY EMAIL that comes in and every
email
that gets sent.... And I also keep the emails sorted by years.  I
keep
EVERYTHING, like I don't even care if it was an email from facebook,
twitter etc. I kept it. For the just in case I need to reference back
to something some day.

Back when I was archiving all accounts into one place.... Which means
was doing what you basically said... Forward everything to 1 address
etc.

What I use to do was everything I read from my domain, AOL, MSN,
GMAIL
was read, replied and delt with and then also archived to a folder by
year and if it was inbound or outbound

as seen here https://imgur.com/a/2XcGQWb

And then, something clicked one day in me and decided that I just
wanted to keep everything pure. STUPID MISTAKE!

Ugh I feel sick to my stomach now... I went though all of my archive
folders and deleted everything that wasnt addressed to @cwm030.com

I deleted emails that were addresses to @yahoo.com or @msn.com or
@aol.com @hotmail.com etc.

I should of just kept doing what I was doing.... Just archiving
everything to one place.

It's too bad, I don't have any backup's from a couple months ago that
could restore and all of those emails from the @yahoo.com or @msn.com
or @aol.com etc. would be restored.

   > So although you can externally filter messages to find duplicate
   > message bodies, its more efficient to stop the duplicates at
source.
   > I've tried Chris to put this as simply as I can so you can
understand
   > it.

Thank you :)

Chris
OK Chris
I wasn't far off :)
I also have my own domain, and my e-mail/web space provider is also the domain host
Which makes things easy, I put everything through them, I do have an account which my ISP supplied,
 but thats not used, there is forwarding set up on that account so my ISP an mail me.
As I can have up to 5 mailboxes on my domain account, I have used 3, mine, my wifes and a backup account
I use IMAP and filter locally on this machine to archive on age to the backup account.
So my main account is not too large so it will update quickly, and all the old stuff on the backup account
sits
on my domain in the 15GB of space I pay for, and that's accessed again with IMAP. I don't need to store
locally, and
everything on the server is backed up daily.

 Best wishes /73
 Richard Bown

 Email : richard g8jvm com

 HTTP  :  http://www.g8jvm.com

 Ham Call: G8JVM . QRV: 50-432 MHz + Microwave
 Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W
 QRV 6mtrs 200W, 4mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 300W, 70cms 200W,
 Microwave 1296MHz 140W, 2320MHz 100W & 10368MHz 5W
 OS: Linux Mint 19 x86_64 Tara, on a Dell Inspiron N5030 laptop