Re: [Evolution] Filtering Emails.... Why don't they work?

On Sun, 2018-07-15 at 22:11 +0100, Richard Bown wrote:
On Sun, 2018-07-15 at 14:39 -0500, Christopher Marlow wrote:
On Sun, 2018-07-15 at 20:22 +0100, Richard Bown wrote:
Hi Chris
I've noticed that unless you select a message for filtering
nothing
happens.
If you are filtering messages in a folder, try  CTRL A  then CTRL

 (select all then filter selected messages)

I found that EVO filters messages on start up and on new mail on
arrival.
I wonder if this is what is perplexing you ?
HTH

Thank you so much Richard on solving the 1st part of my problem...
But I have one last question:

I now wonder Richard,  if you might  be able to answer the last
perplexing question " To the saga of filtering" ( It's supposed to
be
read like a book title} ( huge grin) :P

It seems like on this screen https://imgur.com/a/My26iQw

You leave FOR ACCOUNTS: set as ALL ACCOUNTS

And then point it to the folder you want the email to go do.

But wouldn't that be dangerous?

Say for instance... I have this bill I have to pay every 6
months...
And for some reason I get  2 copies of the recipt at 2 different
email
addresses.

Leaving the box FOR ACCOUNTS: ALL ACCOUNTS

Wouldn't that cause both copies of that email in both accounts to
be
deleted?

If I wanted a rule to set up to delete a copy?

Unless you did something like

IF FROM: BillChrisHasToPay CompanyName com
Sent To: MYMSNAccount MSN com

Then: DELETE EMAIL

So EVO knows just to delete the Hotmail addresses copy? and not the
other one?

Chris

Hi
It all depends if you are running a proper operating system ;)

If you are, you could use the pipe facility in the filters to do a
diff
between the body of the messages, and if the same put a flag in the
header which you could use to filter to delete the unwanted.

You would of course need to identify the two messages with two
similar
bodies, or you could copy all incoming mail to a separate folder on
the
host machine, as long as it runs a proper OS and sequentially compare
the body content of each new received message with what in the
separate
folder.

Hi Richard,

I am new to Evolution. I've been using TB for years....

So I don't quite understand the " Pipe command"

Whould what I said not woke?

If sent to: ______ msn com

And if from: ABillIHaveToPay.com

then mark as read

then delete

I will have to go read up on that link I got the other day about using
filtering in EVO.

----Chris