Re: [Evolution] Filtering Emails.... ( Richard)

On Mon, 2018-07-16 at 13:11 -0500, Christopher Marlow wrote:
Then mark as read

and then move to deleted folder

        Hi,
can the above be the main issue? In evolution, you do not move to
deleted folder (aka Trash), you simply mark the message as deleted,
thus something like:

 |  Rule type: [ Incoming ] For Account: [ Any ]              |
 |  Find items which match: [ all the following conditions ]  |
 |  [ Sender ] [ contains ] [ company company com ]           |
 |  [ Recipients ] [ contains ] [ me msn com ]                |
 |  Then                                                      |
 |  [ Delete ]                                                |
 |  [ Stop Processing ]                                       |

Though the [ Stop Processing ] is redundant there.

First of all, I'd use 'contains', otherwise you check for an exact
header value, which is not your bare email address, but also your name,
if any preset by the sender. The second thing, instead of marking as
read and move to Trash, just delete it. Evolution marks it as read for
you, in one step.

You can also view the message source (Ctrl+U) and see what the headers
contain and fine-tune the rule to more specific checks, like:

   [ Specific header ] [ From ] [ contains ] [ company company com ]
   [ Specific header ] [ To ] [ contains ] [ me msn com ]

There are simply multiple ways to achieve the same.

I'm not sure if you really want to avoid duplicate messages, which is
what Richard suggests in his mails with the use of [ Pipe to Program ]
condition, also because filters do not allow to work on more than one
message at once and comparing for duplicate means to have access to
your mailbox, compare against each message in it and so on, but I may
confess that I've got lost in this thread and all the other messages
you sent to the list, thus I'm a little puzzled with all your queries
(no need to explain, it can be just me; I think you've everything but
this one sorted out already anyway). I'm sorry about that.

By the way, if you use other filter rules which can satisfy your
criteria and they are run before this new rule (like "if message comes
from me msn com then move it to On This Computer/MSN"), then such rules
can avoid run of this new rule if it's executed before this one.
Basically, moving a message also means [ Stop Processing ], even it's
not part of the filter rule. This is when the order of the rules
matter, which you wasn't sure about in one of your messages. Thus
making sure that this new rule is executed before the "move message to
On This Computer/MSN folder" may help. You can figure what filters are
run on the message with the logging on, which is part of the user
documentation, as mentioned earlier in this or other your threads.
        Bye,
        Milan