Re: [Evolution] Automatization Outlook Users migrations to Evolution

On Mon, 2017-09-25 at 07:55 -0500, Len Philpot wrote:
the 3.18.5 is truly old. There had been added some
autoconfiguration

That's the version in the *buntu repositories, from what I've seen,
nothing newer. It's what I'm running now.

Maybe you mentioned before what version of Ubuntu you're running, but I
missed it.  I'm using Ubuntu 17.04 and I have Evolution 3.22.6
installed, so it's not true that there's nothing new available in the
Ubuntu repositories.

Now, if you're using an older version of Ubuntu (for example Ubuntu
16.04 LTS), then you'll get the version of Evolution that was released
in early 2016 (plus bug fixes).  The entire point of an LTS release is
that they don't install major updates--that's why people use it.

Is the only option for a newer version to build from source? I've
built more than a few packages over the years, but Evolution's
dependencies are fairly strong. Looks like a simple 47 step process
:-)

Is there a PPA somewhere of a more recent version?

Evolution is part of the GNOME system; it's not very easy to upgrade
Evolution without also upgrading the rest of GNOME.  Usually Evolution
is expected to work with the current and previous version of GNOME...
but you're multiple versions of GNOME behind, so upgrading just
Evolution and keeping the rest of GNOME at that older version will be
problematic.

You can look at the Gnome3 Staging PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/ubuntu/gnome3-staging?field.series_filter=xenial

It appears to have Evolution 3.20.5 installed, which is newer than what
you have but still not all that new.  I can't say how reliable that
upgrade is.

The best way to get a newer Evolution is to upgrade to a newer release
of Ubuntu.