Re: [Evolution] Bug 738247 - unwanted information disclosure in message headers

On Monday, September 25, 2017 3:41 AM, Milan Crha <mcrha redhat com> wrote:

On Fri, 2017-09-22 at 17:36 -0400, d18jf98rw use startmail com wrote:
Sent from evolution:

Sent from thunderbird:
Hi,
what is better on local IP (which can be a public IP too),

local IP is better.

than using
a local host name, which might not be accessible (resolved) from
the outside? Is there related any shame on the chosen computer name?

I can understand the need to "stay anonymous" for spammers or the like,
but regular good citizens might not have a problem with this, maybe?

I would like not to discuss anything other then technical details of bug topic which are clear and simple:
"unwanted information disclosure".
Simplest example is when a corporate user sends an email using public email server like yahoo/google/aol etc,
their fully qualified host name may show up in helo part which is not always what they may want.

Looking around, the SMTP transport uses the name only if
g_resolver_lookup_by_address() returns anything for the address
returned by g_socket_connection_get_local_address().
There is no option to skip this lookup.
I strongly disagree with this statement because thunderbird does not do host name lookup and always uses IP
address in helo part.

According to gnome bugzilla there was a bug 702703 with exactly the same unwanted information disclosure
complain and was fixed by you, Milan, four years ago.

Regards,
Josh.