Re: [Evolution] Evolution crashes when opening a contact (or viewing it in the overview) - solution

Hi again

After looking through the Ubuntu Evolution bug reports (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bugs), I realised that it seems to take forever till something happens, if ever something happens.
I suspected the installation of the Hardware Enablement Stacks for Ubuntu 16.04.03 to be the culprit for the crashes:
sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04

And I searched the internet for instructions how to uninstall it. Maybe this will help somebody else, that is why I send it to the group:
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2017/02/install-remove-enablement-stacks-ubuntu-16-04/
1. I removed it via commands:
sudo apt remove xserver-xorg-core-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-input-all-hwe-16.04 linux-generic-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-video-all-hwe-16.04

You’ll see the command also removes the ubuntu-desktop package. Don’t worry. The following commands will install it back.

2. Then install back the original xserver-xorg via commands:
sudo apt install xserver-xorg-core
sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-input-all libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386

Afterwards I have not yet experienced any crashes in Evolution when looking at contacts. I am very glad!

Thanks again

Dan