Re: [Evolution] Sending ical event invites to Outlook users?

Am Mittwoch, den 02.03.2016, 14:12 +0100 schrieb Milan Crha:
On Wed, 2016-03-02 at 12:49 +0100, Kristian Rink wrote:
I'm not very deep into ics and these calendar formats yet I attached
the calendar file sent out by evolution. Compared to other invites I
used to send through Thunderbird, there apparently is a huge load of
DTSTART fields appearing in there. This looks the same whenever I try
to store such an event directly as ical. I'm unsure but shouldn't
this appear in there only once? Or am I doing anything completely
wrong here?

      Hi,
that's all correct. The DTSTART you see there is part of the timezone
definition, the actual event is between BEGIN:VEVENT and END:VEVENT,
near the end of the file.

It can be that the ownCloud server doesn't like the expanded time zone,
libical 2.0.0 has an option to prefer "interoperable" timezones, which
uses RRULE for timezones, rather than expand them this way. I cannot
tell whether it's it or not.

I would suggest to try the other way around, do configure your ownCloud
calendar in the evolution (I suppose you've it done already), then let
someone send an invitation to your from the Evolution (not from the
Outlook). Then try to accept the invitation in your Evolution, passing
the event into the ownCloud calendar. It should fail the same as it
fails for your Outlook using co-worker, unless Outlook does anything
odd with the event before passing it to the server.

You can debug what the evolution exchanges with the ownCloud server
when you run this from a terminal:
   $ CALDAV_DEBUG=all /usr/libexec/evolution-calendar-factory -w
and only then run the evolution (the actual path can differ, it depends
on your distribution). The console should print new information when
you click "Accept/Decline/...", one of them might be
a PUT request. The response for the PUT can be interesting, together
with the information what was sent to the server (the PUT itself).

As it's ownCloud, I'd expect the server logs can also contain some
information why the Outlook request to store (PUT) the meeting to the
calendar failed.

... in addition: I wouldn't take sequential events for test cases