Re: [Evolution] Feature request: Signatures without '--'

El 2016-07-20 17:15, Adam Tauno Williams escribió:

Because then *it is not a **signature** *.  It is
just-text-in-the-message.  The phrase "signature" means: text at the
*end* of a message, after the message.

Perhaps what the author really wants are Message Templates?

I hesitate to lengthen this discussion as I think that Pete's repsonse presents the why's and wherefore's of the characters. I have always liked the format because, except with lists :), I sign virtually all my mails and leave the "signature" (text) below as it should be. Without knowing the reason, I just learned this when I started using the technology. Perhaps my next observation is also why I have accepted the convention.

When I sign an e-mail I do so with respect to my relationship with the receiver(s): an initial or initials (as Pete signed his message in this thread), a first name (as John did), or a full name (to politicians, complaints departments, perspective clients or whatever). From what I have seen some people want the "signature" to do double duty, both signing the message and giving full contact information (the e-mail equivalent of an inside address on a letter).

Pete's explanation of the technical reason and standard for "-- " settles (or should do so) the question. However, I think there are equally valid non-technical reasons for not changing this behavior.