Re: [Evolution] Duplicated messages in search folders

On Mon, 2016-02-15 at 17:31 -0200, Jorge wrote:
On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Pete Biggs <pete biggs org uk> wrote:
Unless you have specifically changed the configuration, the Trash is
not a real folder, it's virtual.  The deleted messages are still in
their original folder, just marked as deleted.  Turn on the "Show
deleted messages" in the View menu so that you can see them.  As such
excluding Trash from your searches probably wouldn't help.
I have changed the configuration, enabling "Use a real folder for
Trash".  But now I actually do not remember why I did this.  What are
the pros and cons of this configuration?

The cons are that you have to move a message, pros are that it sort of
behaves like other clients and it's more akin to the real world.

A bit more explanation: when the mbox format was prevalent, where all
the messages in a folder are held in a single file, removing a message
from the folder was a very expensive operation, it went somewhere along
the lines of

    Freeze access to the mbox file.
    Copy bytes out of the file into another file until you reach the
    beginning of the message to remove.
    Skip over the message.
    Copy bytes into the other file until the end of the mbox file.
    Rename original mbox file.
    Rename new (shorter) mbox file
    Delete original mbox file.
    Allow access to the new file.

This took a significant amount of time especially for large mbox files.
Hence it was much more efficient to just mark messages as being deleted
rather than go through the above every time you delete something.  At
some later time all the deleted messages could be "expunged" in one go.

These days it is increasingly unlikely that mbox is used as the backend
for an IMAP server (it's usually Maildir or a database) and the
disadvantages of moving a deleted message to a real folder immediately
is largely negated.  The provision of a real trash in Evolution is
actually quite a recent feature.

Most old hands do not use a real trash folder, but mark messages as
deleted the way nature intended it.

You could try adding the condition "Status" "is not" "deleted" to the
search rule.
Since I currently use a real folder for Trash, I added the following condition:
Message Location is not Trash.  It seems to have worked.  Thank you
for the suggestion.

Good. Glad you worked out something acceptable.

P.