Re: [Evolution] Some questions..

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 14:47:22 +0100
Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve> wrote:

On Sun, 2016-04-17 at 15:29 +0200, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
Delete then expunge (Folder->Expunge or Ctrl-E). That's how IMAP is
designed to work.

Yes, I know.. But having the possibility to delete and expunge at the
same time would be nice...

Why? The point of the IMAP model is to a) make deletion easily
reversible, and b) reduce server load by batching expunges. Note that
you can configure Evo to expunge automatically under various
conditions. Since you're coming from Claws I'll note that they had it
wrong for a long time (i.e. they hadn't implemented IMAP correctly). I
think I complained about it a few years ago and there was a proposal to
add the canonical behaviour as an option.

There's also an issue about Trash folders. In Evo the default Trash is
a virtual folder which just lists the messages marked for deletion, but
recent versions allow you to specify a real Trash if that's what you
want or your server-side forces it on you, e.g. for Exchange. In that
case deleted messages will be moved to the real folder and presumably
expunged from their original location (I say "presumably" because I've
never tried this).

poc

Ok, thx for your comments... I am just weird and I would like my email do be deleted when I delete it, I
never use any trashcans anywhere on my
computers... But I guess that's just me... :)

But about IMAP IDLE, it should just work when choosing IMAP+? And no need to then set "Check for new messages
every x miunutes"?

BTJ