Re: [Evolution] Upgrade Evolution outside of Ubuntu mechanism

aOn Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 11:13 PM, Tim Wescott <tim wescottdesign com> wrote:

I do appreciate the suggestion, however much my previous answer may have
sounded brusque.  I just have reasons to think long and hard before
going away from Ubuntu derivatives.

Hi Tim, if you could use Ubuntu Vivid or Utopic, you can use the following PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~fta/+archive/ubuntu/gnome3
I'm using it now.

Otherwise, when I used 14.04, I self compiled Evolution since I needed webkit composer. To do it, you need to first
   sudo apt-get build-dep evolution-data-server
to get all required dependencies.

You can then download any version you like for evolution-data-server, evolution and evolution-ews (only if you use exchange) from the Evo github.
https://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution-data-server
https://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution
https://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution-ews

You can then extract them into a folder, and start trying to compile:

My Example for Evolution-Data-Server, run inside the extracted zip folder:
   ./autogen.sh
   ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --disable-goa --disable-uoa --enable-ipv6=no --disable-weather --with-openldap --disable-examples

This may create some errors, also depending on the version you use. For example, you can't compile 3.16 in 14.04 or even 15.04, since the repository lacks the new version of libwbxml2 that Evo requires. So you'll need to find it online, compile it and install it before proceeding to fix other missing libraries. I think libwbxml2 was the only problem I faced for 15.04.

Then you can do
   make
and when it finishes, you can do checkinstall to install a packaged version, or if you're fine to live without a package, you can simply do
   sudo make install
to install in /usr/local

Once the EDS installed, you can do the same for Evolution:
   cd ../evolution-master
   ./autogen.sh
   ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-gnome-desktop --disable-autoar --disable-gtk-doc-html --enable-smime --enable-nss --disable-weather --without-help --with-openldap --enable-pst-import --disable-spamassassin
   make
   sudo make install

and then the same for evolution-ews if you need it.

If you can get the 1st compilation right, then you can put all these into a script and it would probably work fine until they change some library version requirements or new libraries (like it happened on 3.16 for libwbxml2, while it was fine for 3.13.x)

Let me know how it goes,

Br,
Emre