Re: [Evolution] Automatically downloading all e-mails from IMAP server

Sorry, but is POP3 not available? Change to POP3 and you have your
backup.

regards
Karsten

Am Mittwoch, den 21.01.2015, 10:29 +0000 schrieb Pete Biggs:

I tried offlineimap, and it clearly downloaded all messages from all my
accounts. It seems a much better way of making backups.

Evolution is a mail client, it's not designed to make backups of your
remote mail - being able to download and make local copies of messages
is only for convenience of access to messages when you are off-line.

Evolution
doesn't give me the same feeling of control over data. That's a pity,
because I have GNOME as my desktop environment of choice and Evolution
is well integrated in it. With webmail I also don't receive
notifications when a message arrives.

You don't have to give up Evolution.  The purpose of OfflineIMAP is not
for backing up emails, it's to provide a local synchronised repository
of mail that in reality resides on an IMAP server.  The fact that it
makes it easy to then backup your email locally is a by-product.

Evolution can read the OfflineIMAP mail store (it's in Maildir format),
so point Evolution at that repository and just use it as normal.
Changes to the local store are synchronised back to the IMAP server.

See the OfflineIMAP web pages (http://offlineimap.org/) for more
details.

P.