Re: [Evolution] Automatically downloading all e-mails from IMAP server

On Tue, 2015-01-20 at 13:01 +0100, Francesco Turco wrote:
On Tue, 2015-01-20 at 11:52 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2015-01-20 at 12:36 +0100, Francesco Turco wrote:
I have Evolution 3.12.10. I'd like to automatically download all e-mails
from my IMAP server every time I run Evolution, but the Send/Receive
button doesn't do that. It just downloads new e-mails, not old ones. I
need this for backup reasons. I read somewhere I have to use OfflineIMAP
together with Evolution. Is this true? Thank you.

It's not necessary (though it is possible if you prefer it that way).

Otherwise, set:

File->Preferences-><account>->Receiving Options->Automatically
Synchronize Remote Mail Locally.

I enabled that option in Evolution and then tried again with
Send/Receive, but it didn't start synchronizing emails. I even tried
with "Download messages for offline usage" and then "Work offline", to
no avail. Same messages couldn't be read offline. What should I do
exactly?

Have you tested the same server and account with a different IMAP client
(such as Thunderbird)?

Do you regularly access the same account from some other client? I'm
trying to understand why some emails are not new but have not previously
been downloaded.

Note that you can also copy email from the server to a local with
drag-and-drop.

poc