Re: [Evolution] Evolution started

Now, the backup is by 3.6.2, current installation is 3.2.3.
My idea is that the backup of the newer version might not work in the
older one, and I should upgrade on a version 3.6.2 or newer.
Is that correct?

That is correct - a backup will not restore to an older version.

Before messing things up again, I just ask.

If you want to still use 3.2.3, then untar the backup file somewhere
separate from the Evolution default locations. i.e.

    mkdir evobackup
    cd evobackup
    tar zxvf ~/evolution.backup.tar.gz   (or whatever it is called)

To make things more obvious rename the .local directory to local

    mv .local local

(this is still in the evobackup directory you created - if you
rename .local in your home directory, everything will break)

You need to find the directory that your old mail is in - something like
local/share/evolution/mail/local if your mail was in "On this computer".

Now start up Evolution.  You need to create a new account - fill in Name
and Email address (it doesn't matter what you use) and on the next
screen change the "Server Type" to "Maildir-format mail directories" and
set the "Mail Directory" to the directory you found above.  Fill in the
rest of the wizard (it doesn't particularly matter what you use).

When the wizard is complete you will have a new account in the left hand
pane which will contain all your old mail.

If you wish to use Evolution long term (rather than just printing out a
few emails like you said originally), then I suggest you copy the mail
you want to the "On this Computer" folders (drag and drop works) - it's
probably not wise to use the temporary folders on a long term basis.

Once finished with the old mails I suggest you delete the account you
created within Evolution to avoid future confusion.

P.