Re: [Evolution] Need config help on Evolution email client

On Thu, 2015-12-03 at 14:08 -0500, Mark Foley wrote:
Yes, I quite understand about the whole version/package delay thing.
I've also used Slackware for years which is even more dramatic in this
respect. However, I though I was using the "latest" stable version.

The http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop site shows 14.04.03 LTS and
15.10 versions downloadable.  Possibly I'm confused.  I thought
14.04.03 was the latest stable and 15.10 beta-ish, techies invited to
test.  Am I mistaken? What exactly is the difference between "The
latest version of ...  Ubuntu (15.10)" and "Long Term Support" version
(14.04.03).  Maybe I got off on the wrong foot to begin with.

Probably this belongs on an Ubuntu list not here, but basically the
Ubuntu Long Term Support releases are more like Red Hat Enterprise
releases: the LTS releases are released every 2 years or so and intended
to be used on systems where you don't need the latest software but you
want support and you don't want to upgrade your system very often.  They
are supported for 5 years.  So, Ubuntu 14.04 was released in April 2014
and will be supported until April 2019.  But note "support" means
security and important bug fixes, it does not mean "new versions of
software".  In 2019, Ubuntu 14.04 will still have the same version of
Gnome and Evolution as it did when it was released.

The next LTS release will be 16.04, out next April.  That one will have
Evolution 3.18 available BTW and be supported until 2021.

Non-LTS Ubuntu releases are supported for only 9 months... so you need
to upgrade to the next one within 3 months of it being released (Ubuntu
releases come out every 6 months) if you want continuous support.

However, non-LTS releases are not "beta-ish": they are real releases and
not restricted only to techies and pretesters.  Every Ubuntu release
goes through a beta period before it's released.  The big difference is
the support lifetime, not the quality: you are signing up to upgrade
your system more often if you want it to be supported.

Regardless of LTS/non-LTS, though, it's still always the case that a
newer version of a software package like Evolution (etc.) will never be
backported to an already-published release of Ubuntu so you'll always
have to upgrade to a newer release if you want it.

HTH!