Subject: Re: [Evolution] Need config help on Evolution email client
From: Paul Smith <paul mad-scientist net>
To: Mark Foley <mfoley novatec-inc com>
Cc: evolution-list gnome org
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 13:41:02 -0500

On Thu, 2015-12-03 at 13:26 -0500, Mark Foley wrote:
As others have said, it appears that 3.10 on Ubuntu 14.04 is broken in
various ways (it's to do with the Ubuntu packaging - 3.10 was fine on
other systems).  3.10 is also very old now and unsupported.

So, your recommendation? Should I get the latest stable release? I
assume that would be 3.18.2 from
https://download.gnome.org/sources/evolution/3.18/. Or do you think
that wouldn't work on Ubuntu. Any idea why the Ubuntu folks have not
kept this updated?

Ubuntu is no different than any other distribution: Red Hat, Fedora,
SuSE, etc.  If you use a distribution release which is going on 2 years
old, then the software versions in that release will be old and not
supported upstream.  Release-based distributions don't put newer
versions of software in already-published releases.

This is quadruply-true of Evolution which is NOT a stand-alone
application like Firefox etc.: it's an integrated component of the GNOME
desktop.  If you want a newer version of Evolution you'll have to
upgrade to a newer version of the entire GNOME desktop.

If you want a newer version of Evolution, then simply upgrade your
version of Ubuntu.  If you switch to the current Ubuntu 15.10 release (I
personally prefer the Ubuntu GNOME version, not native Ubuntu, but
whatever) then you'll get Evolution 3.16.5 which is not the latest but
is much closer.

[1] There are exceptions, usu