Re: [Evolution] Need config help on Evolution email client

Pete - thanks for your reply.  See my comments interleaved below.

--Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Biggs <pete biggs org uk>
To: evolution-list gnome org
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2015 09:49:12 +0000
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Need config help on Evolution email client

On Wed, 2015-12-02 at 01:24 -0500, Mark Foley wrote:
I've just installed Evolution 3.10.4 on Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS with Cinnamon
desktop. So far I like it, but I'm having some problems.

As others have said, it appears that 3.10 on Ubuntu 14.04 is broken in
various ways (it's to do with the Ubuntu packaging - 3.10 was fine on
other systems).  3.10 is also very old now and unsupported.

So, your recommendation? Should I get the latest stable release? I assume that
would be 3.18.2 from https://download.gnome.org/sources/evolution/3.18/. Or do
you think that wouldn't work on Ubuntu. Any idea why the Ubuntu folks have not
kept this updated?

In fact, I don't think I've used Evolution enough to have found actual bugs.

1. I've configured 2 accounts: one for POP, one for IMAP -- different servers
(personal, work). The POP accounts works just fine. The IMAP account works for
sending (which means the SMTP works), but I can't get my mail. I've configured
iPhone, Android, Outlook, roundCube to connect to the IMAP server and they all
work. I believe I'm using the same settings for Evolution, but nothing. When I
monitor the dovecot log on the IMAP server it shows nothing at all when I do
send/receive on Evolution. Yet I can `telnet popserver.com 143 and it connects
and shows in the dovecot log. It's as if Evolution isn't even trying the IMAP
connection. I've tried ports 143 and 993, with and without TLS. Nada. Any idea
what's going on?

Run Evolution from the command line to see if any errors are shown.  If
there is nothing obvious, run it with IMAP debugging enabled - see

 https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Debugging

and that will tell you what is happening.

In fact, I now have this working. Not sure what the problem was. Maybe an
expired security certificate. I saw a warning on that when trying to connect
using Thunderbird and when I fixed the cert, Evolution started working.

2. On the POP account, I have a calendar. I've clicked Actions > Publish
Calendar, but nothing at all happens. Why?

What do you mean that you "have a calendar" on the POP account?  And
what did you expect to happen when you publish the calendar?  Have you
setup the location to publish to?

I shouldn't have said "on the POP account". Ignore that. What I expect to happen
when I click on 'Publish' is to see a dialog, like Outlook, with options to
publish to a WebDAV server and asking for the name of the server, date range to
publish, etc. Instead, nothing at all happens.

After reading your comment, I suppose I do need to configure this first. In
Preferences > Calendar and Tasks > Locations > Add, I see where to do this. I'll
go through the instruction in
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/calendar-publishing.html.en and
post back if I have issues.

3. I've "labeled" one of the messages as 'Important' (right-click message >
Label > Important). This is indicated on the 'Label' drop-down as a red square.
However, the message does not show this anywhere. I can select 'Show >
Important' and it does filter by that, but I'd like to see the red square
somewhere in my message list view. Doable?

Messages marked as "Important" will be coloured red in the message list
and have a flag/indicator in the third column (the actual icon used
depends on your window manager and theme).  There is no indication in
the message view of the flag status.

But you should also be aware that there is a difference between the
"Important" flag (Right click > Mark as Important) and the Evolution
internal label "Important" (Right click > Label > Important).  The
labels only apply to the messages on a specific machine - i.e. they are
held in a local database; the flag, which is an IMAP property, will be
present on whatever client is using the IMAP store.

Yes, I know it's confusing, it's historical.  The rationale is that the
labels can be modified to say anything - it just so happens one of them
says "Important" by default; the Flag is a marker that by convention
means "this message is important" on mail clients.

OK, yes, a bit confusing. I'm going to reply to this with a new thread.

P.