Re: [Evolution] 3.16.1 issues (on Arch)

On Sat, 2015-04-18 at 18:35 -0400, Carl Schaefer wrote:
1) on startup Evolution will usually report
     Failed to connect to 'Gmail' / Unknown error
   but it appears connect successfully, as far as I can see.

        Hi,
do you have configured the GMail account directly in Evolution or
through GNOME Online Accounts? There can be a little difference, as
the direct configuration can change multiple things from the
preconfigured GOA account. I would try to disable all IMAP accounts
you might have, except of this GMail account, and then gather the log
from the start:
   $ CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx evolution &>log.txt
and then check its beginning, whether it'll show anything useful.
Please note that the log contains also raw communication between the
server and the client, thus be careful before sharing it anywhere.

2) when Evolution goes offline then online (for example, when my
laptop suspends and resumes) it usually can't finish going online;
there will be one server connection that is stuck in the bar at the
bottom (though not always the same server), e.g.

  Reconnecting to 'Gmail' (cancelling)

It would be good to install debug info packages for evolution-data
-server and evolution, then repeat the problem and gather the
backtrace of the running evolution, which will show what the evolution
is trying to do. You can get the backtrace with command like this:
   $ gdb --batch --ex "t a a bt" -pid=`pidof evolution` &>bt.txt
Please check the bt.txt for any private information, like passwords,
email address, server addresses,... I usually search for "pass" at
least (quotes for clarity only).

Getting a debug log for the imapx account might be also useful. I
would file this into GNOME's bugzilla [1], it'll be easier to track it
there.

3) Undoing Ctrl-Delete or Ctrl-Backspace in the compose window
doesn't work properly if the number of characters deleted was
greater than 1.

Please file this as well, at [1], against the Composer component.

        Thanks and bye,
        Milan

[1] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=evolution