Re: [Evolution] Errors receiving mail via POP

On Wed, 2014-09-03 at 10:26 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
<snip>
I suspect that 90% of the problems reported are with IMAP because >90%
of people use IMAP.

I'm not so sure.  Most of the people I know use web mail.  They do
everything through their browser.  Is that IMAP?  I want no part of
that!

Basically POP is a method of getting your mail from a server and on to
your own computer.  That's it.  That's all it does.

No, not quite.  You're forgetting the deletion part of the process!  POP
does exactly what I want it to do!  If it is text, fine.  If it is HTML,
fine!  If it has an embedded image, fine.  If it has an attachment,
fine!  Send it to me and I, or rather my mail client, will decide what
to do with it.

  All the POP
implementation on Evo does is to stick the mail into your "On this
computer" folders and then plays with it from there.

Exactly!  And, it does it very well, thank you.

  If, theoretically,
Evo abandoned it's POP components and you had an external method of
doing the same thing, would that be a workable thing for you? [Please
note, I am not a dev, there is no such proposal, I am not proposing it.]

Why, why, why is everyone so intent on making me, and others like me,
change a system we are perfectly happy with, to one you think is
"Better"?  NO!  It would not be to my liking!  I would not like an
external system that I would have to set up and make additional efforts
to download things that are already downloaded via POP, or send a bunch
of commands to some computer somewhere, which will record everything I
do, which messages go where, which folders I create, which ones I
delete, what type of messages I keep, and then sell all this info to
some company, or give it to some govt agency.

Evolution is, and has been for a long time, my mail client of choice.
It downloads messages from 17 POP accounts, puts them in folders as
determined by the filters I created, and lets me read and reply to them.
I really like Evolution even though it contains a bunch of stuff I don't
use... like the calendar... and the memos...  and Tasks....  and
Microsoft Outlook connectivity and... and... and...  Oh!  IMAP!  :)

Leave my POP alone!

Now.  I'm done.

Bart