Re: [Evolution] Errors receiving mail via POP

They use POP because they do not want their mail residing on someone
else's computer.

Hmm, all my mail resides on my own computers and I use IMAP.  (Well, I
have a gmail account somewhere, but that's the only one!)

I know it passes through other systems, but I have some messages that
reside for long periods of time in various email folders for various
reasons. And, I feel a lot more secure doing so.

I have mail going back to the early 90s. I feel much happier that my
mail resides on a server somewhere rather than on a desktop computer -
it just feels right that it is in a physically secure place, in a
controlled environment and backed up daily.

If I lose my phone, or my iPad, or my laptop, I don't need to worry
about my email accounts.
Besides, 90 percent of the problems I see here have to do with IMAP.
I've been using POP for years and years and have very, very little
trouble. So, count me among the POP fans.

I suspect that 90% of the problems reported are with IMAP because >90%
of people use IMAP.

Basically POP is a method of getting your mail from a server and on to
your own computer.  That's it.  That's all it does.  All the POP
implementation on Evo does is to stick the mail into your "On this
computer" folders and then plays with it from there.  If, theoretically,
Evo abandoned it's POP components and you had an external method of
doing the same thing, would that be a workable thing for you? [Please
note, I am not a dev, there is no such proposal, I am not proposing it.]

P.