Re: [Evolution] Migrate data from 2.28,3 to 3.10.4

Suppose I backup from 2.28 in Mint 9, to am external drive. Then I upgrade to Mint 17 with Evo 3.10:
If Evo 3.10 won't import the backed up files then I'm stuck?

Not really.

First, make sure you backup your filesystem, don't just rely on the
backup created within Evolution.

Evo should upgrade an old file structure the first time its run - be
careful not to run Evo without the old files in place because it will
create all the necessary things and not do the upgrade when the files
are put in place.  I've never had any problems ever with the Evo upgrade
process, but I've never done such a fairly large jump of versions.

But nevertheless, even if the automatic upgrade fails, the mail folders
will still all exist in the backup.  Evo stores the mail in standard
formats - whether that be mbox or Maildir - so all you need do is to
find the mail folders and copy the mail over by hand within Evo.  Yes,
it's a pain having to do that, but it is possible to do.  I, and many
others, have detailed the process for doing this on the mailing list
many times over the last few years.

Sadly my ISP doesn't support IMAP.

Really.  Get a new ISP then.

Seriously, if your ISP is shaw.ca (as your email address suggests), then
as far as I can see they do offer IMAP - the settings page for
Thunderbird gives info on how to setup IMAP (which should be similar for
Evo):

   https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1652

and the host imap.shaw.ca exists and is pingable.

P.