Re: [Evolution] Evolution performance bottleneck

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 22:50:00 +0100
Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:

On Wed, 2014-11-12 at 22:02 +0100, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
On Wed, 2014-11-12 at 21:34 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
I've got 4 POP accounts and experience the performance issue on
openbox and JWM, if I run another resource hungry app. Ass a
matter of fact, it happens if I run virtual box and Evolution at
the same time. When using Claws instead of Evolution, there are
no performance issues, so I guess it's GTK 3 what does cause the
issues. My machine is an Athlon dual-core with 4 GiB and my
install is a 64-bit architecture Arch Linux, IOW all software are
current stable releases from upstream. JFTR even if I would like
to run GNOME on my machine, I couldn't, because my machine is
much to slow to run GNOME 3. You should test Xfce4, openbox, JWM,
Mate or KDE. Yes, even KDE on my machine is ok, but Cinnamon does
behave as bad as GNOME 3 does. I suspect you need another WM/DE.

Thanks. I did not think of Gnome as being the possible culprit.

GNOME was not mentioned as a possible culprit for Evolution issues in
the email that you quoted.

Yesno ;). Indeed I experience the same or a similar issue, at least a
performance issue, if I run Evolution and at least another application
that is very resource hungry. I don't have the same problem if I use a
GTK 2 based MUA instead, so it might or might not be related to GTK 3
in combination with my computer. The issues I experience with GNOME and
Cinnamon are most likely related to the graphics, but when experiencing
performance issues, it never can harm to test a lightweight WM/DE. JFTR
receiving and storing the received messages works perfect when running
Evolution only or Evolution and a few other applications that aren't
that resource hungry as virtual box is. Btw. when running a distro that
provides a complete environment by a default install, it can't
harm to check, if all started services are needed. If I wouldn't use
Arch Linux, but install Suse or Debian etc., I would do an "expert"
install or what ever it's called. IMO it's better to spend a few
minutes to chose what we need, instead of having tons of unneeded
services running, that could cause trouble. Perhaps I'm to pedantic,
since I use my Linux much for real-time audio work, maybe no unneeded
service has really impact to an application as Evolution.