Re: [Evolution] Best Distribution to self compile master?

Am Mittwoch, den 19.02.2014, 11:52 +0400 schrieb Emre Erenoglu:
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Matthew Barnes <mbarnes redhat com>
wrote:
        On Tue, 2014-02-18 at 19:02 +0400, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
        > Is there a distribution that carries the latest versions of
        > dependencies of Evo 3.12 (incl webkit), so that I can
        self-compile it
        > without jhbuild? I shall be forced to replace only few
        system packages
        > to prevent instability of the base system.

        I do most of my Evolution development on Debian Stable,
        cherry-picking
        newer libraries as needed from Debian Testing, and
        occasionally build
        (optional) bleeding-edge dependencies straight from git.

        I don't use jhbuild, I install built source code to a prefix
        under my
        home directory so as not to affect system stability, and I run
        the EDS
        D-Bus services manually from that install prefix.

Thanks Matthew for your time, hope you would have little more time to
respond to the below as well :)

I tried this in Ubuntu but it started complaining about tons of
dependencies to replace in the system, starting from Gnome3 related
packages, webkit, fontconfig, glib, gnutls, gobject-introspection,
gstreamer, gtk+, gvfs, libnotify, libsoup, librest, pango, polkit,
etc.  etc.  Maybe these are not all needed...

Have you tried the command to install build dependencies for evolution:
apt-get build-dep evolution
That usually gets the basic libraries installed. The others you might
need to build manually into your $PREFIX build directory structure.
Also, you might consider building in a different directory than the
source directories like:
$PREFIX/local/build
$PREFIX/local/src

However, your message gave me new energy to try again :)  Maybe I can
start on a beta Ubuntu 14.04 and try over there.

So do I understand right that you configure stuff with;
configure --prefix=$HOME/local  (for example), and then add built
library paths to LD_LIBRARY_PATH before launching evo?
Also, how do you launch the "ESD D-Bus services" manually?

Thanks a lot,
Br,
Emre