Re: [Evolution] Best Distribution to self compile master?

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Matthew Barnes <mbarnes redhat com> wrote:
On Tue, 2014-02-18 at 19:02 +0400, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
> Is there a distribution that carries the latest versions of
> dependencies of Evo 3.12 (incl webkit), so that I can self-compile it
> without jhbuild? I shall be forced to replace only few system packages
> to prevent instability of the base system.

I do most of my Evolution development on Debian Stable, cherry-picking
newer libraries as needed from Debian Testing, and occasionally build
(optional) bleeding-edge dependencies straight from git.

I don't use jhbuild, I install built source code to a prefix under my
home directory so as not to affect system stability, and I run the EDS
D-Bus services manually from that install prefix.

Thanks Matthew for your time, hope you would have little more time to respond to the below as well :)

I tried this in Ubuntu but it started complaining about tons of dependencies to replace in the system, starting from Gnome3 related packages, webkit, fontconfig, glib, gnutls, gobject-introspection, gstreamer, gtk+, gvfs, libnotify, libsoup, librest, pango, polkit, etc.  etc.  Maybe these are not all needed...

However, your message gave me new energy to try again :)  Maybe I can start on a beta Ubuntu 14.04 and try over there.

So do I understand right that you configure stuff with;
configure --prefix=$HOME/local  (for example), and then add built library paths to LD_LIBRARY_PATH before launching evo?
Also, how do you launch the "ESD D-Bus services" manually?

Thanks a lot,
Br,
Emre