Re: [Evolution] Mail List Sorting Issue

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:37 AM, Pete Biggs <pete biggs org uk> wrote:

> My mailbox is normally sorted by date, recent first. When I click "TO"
> column to sort by surname, it sorts by surname but looses the 2nd
> level sort by date.

Why don't you just use the search bar - the default is to search
"Subjects or Addresses Contains" so will pick up the name in the To:
header, or if that's too nebulous, you could select "Recipients
contain". Whichever, the list will still be sorted by date.

Yes, that's fine, but I can still have too many mails related to this person and still need the date sorting.  If I click DATE header, then I will lose the focus on mails coming from this person, if I click the TO, then the 2nd level date sort is lost.

What works well in TB is that i can search from:person in the quick search bar using gmailui, so it's fine. This doesn't work that way in Evo yet, so if I just write a name, I get all sorts of messages that includes this person, from, to, cc, etc. etc.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:42 AM, Matthew Barnes <mbarnes redhat com> wrote:
On Wed, 2014-02-19 at 22:32 +0400, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
> My mailbox is normally sorted by date, recent first. When I click "TO"
> column to sort by surname, it sorts by surname but looses the 2nd
> level sort by date.

Right-click the message list header bar, select "Customize Current View"
and you can tailor your sorting options however you want.  You'll have
to excuse the antiquated UI, though.  It's ancient.

After that, if you want you can do View -> Current View -> Save Custom
View, so you can quickly return to your custom sorting in the future.

Matthew, thanks for this advice. Well, I must admit this is part of the puzzle, as the "save custom view" function does not work in my jhbuild Evo. It does not bring any dialogs in front of me. This may be a bug at master or just my webkit-composer branch problem or problem with compilation, that's why I did not mention it.

In any case, this is still not intuitive. Maybe a shortcut key combination or buttons in taskbar to switch faster between view modes could be better. (changing view modes needs 2 mouse moves two clicks at least.)

Br,
Emre