Re: [Evolution] Gnome for Ubuntu

On Wed, 2014-02-19 at 11:52 +0400, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Matthew Barnes <mbarnes redhat com> wrote:
On Tue, 2014-02-18 at 19:02 +0400, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
> Is there a distribution that carries the latest versions of
> dependencies of Evo 3.12 (incl webkit), so that I can self-compile it
> without jhbuild? I shall be forced to replace only few system packages
> to prevent instability of the base system.

I do most of my Evolution development on Debian Stable, cherry-picking
newer libraries as needed from Debian Testing, and occasionally build
(optional) bleeding-edge dependencies straight from git.

I don't use jhbuild, I install built source code to a prefix under my
home directory so as not to affect system stability, and I run the EDS
D-Bus services manually from that install prefix.

Thanks Matthew for your time, hope you would have little more time to respond to the below as well :)

I tried this in Ubuntu but it started complaining about tons of dependencies to replace in the system, starting from Gnome3 related packages, webkit, fontconfig, glib, gnutls, gobject-introspection, gstreamer, gtk+, gvfs, libnotify, libsoup, librest, pango, polkit, etc.  etc.  Maybe these are not all needed...

However, your message gave me new energy to try again :)  Maybe I can start on a beta Ubuntu 14.04 and try over there.

The default desktop environment  of Ubuntu 12.10 or later is Unity.  Maybe you need a GNOME session fallback installed on the system.

Ubuntu 12.10 introduces two different types of GNOME session fallback. The default fallback is named 'GNOME Classic' and  there is also the GNOME Classic (No effects) fallback.

The gnome-session-fallback package, valid for Ubuntu 12.10 and later versions:

$ sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

GNOME classic (No effects)  will then be made available.

DefaultDesktopCommand "/etc/X11/Xsession gnome-session-fallback"

I have not tried this myself, and the info came from www.nomachine.com/AR07K00676
HTH -- Rick
Rick Leir, Senior Developer
http://CirrusComputing.com/