Re: [Evolution] NFS folder on network attached storage

On 08/25/2014 01:31 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
It has been said many times on this list that it is unwise to muck about
with Evo's internal private storage locations because something will
break horribly if you do.
Yes, but this is just a message that won't "stick" for some people.
There is something almost pathological about a segment of the LINUX user
community that they must flail about with settings and configuration...
eventually they storm off and write a BLOG post about how everything is
so unstable, the software is broken, etc...  sigh.

If I can't back up entire home directories and restore a SINGLE
APPLICATION such as Evolution using rsync, then Evolution is horribly
broken.

If I can't back up from version 2 and restore to version 3.X and have it
convert forward CORRECTLY then Evolution is also horribly broken.

If I have to retype BY HAND every single vfolder / search folder /
filter definition instead of using file sync between systems Evolution
is also horribly broken.

Forcing us to do it any other way is something EVEN MICROSOFT learned
not to do. Look at MSDN. I found three pages with all the information
you need to handle Outlook PST files or Exchange data stores. These days
you can script nearly anything you want to do with a Microsoft product
in Powershell.

If we can't "muck about" with the configuration and data files then
Evolution has become WORSE than Microsoft. That really isn't anything to
be proud of.

Now actually, I recall finding some decent documentation on Evolution
data files and configuration at one point. So instead of telling people
not to muck with it, just give them a link to what they need for doing
it correctly.

The following link is all I can find at the moment. The
developer.gnome.org search functions aren't all that helpful.

https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/3.12/data-storage.html.en