Re: [Evolution] NFS folder on network attached storage

On Wed, 2014-08-20 at 23:36 +0100, John wrote:
Evolution 3.10.4
Ubuntu 14.04

Hello, and many thanks for an excellent open source PIM.

I have been using it for a number of years and find it most convenient.

I have 2 PCs both running Ubuntu, and both connected to my lan, which
also includes a Qnap NAS.
I just make a symlink from ~/.local/share/evolution to an NFS folder on
my NAS as in:

ln -s /home/john/nas/mydocs/Personal/evolution evolution

I then set up the email accounts on each PC and all seems to work fine.
I seldom open evolution on both computers at the same time.
I also use syncevolution-server to sync to my android devices.

Should i be linking the evolution folders in .cache and in .config to an
NFS folder also?
I attempted to do that just now, and Evolution opened in first run mode
and asked me to set up an account. When i restored the original
evolution folders in .cache and .config, after a restart all is okay
again.

You don't say what kind of accounts you're talking about, but I have to
say this sounds like a bad idea at least for POP, though it would take a
careful analysis to say exactly why. Evo is not designed to be used this
way and won't take any precautions to ensure the data of one instance is
not overwritten by a second instance.

If you just want to access the same accounts from several machines, the
best way is to use IMAP. Even then you won't get absolute consistency in
every scenario (e.g. a message that is Seen in one instance may still be
Unseen in another, depending on the setup), but at least you won't lose
anything.

poc