Re: [Evolution] SSL Heartbleed Patch Causes Evolution to Fail

Andre: Yes, it does sound like a flakey connection; however, IceDove
(Thunderbird) has no problem using the same connection. (Zero errors
since I started using it yesterday.)

The ISP rep says, "Problem solved, just use Icedove!"

Change ISPs. Problem solved.

But I guess I'm old and set in my ways. I prefer Evo. I've been using it
for many years now.

In all honesty there is nothing wrong with Evo, large numbers of people
use it regularly without any problems what so ever.  Having said that,
3.4.4 is old - yes, I know that's what comes with whatever distro you
are using, but the current version is 3.10.4.

If you want to try and work out what's going on, then you are going to
have to do some diagnostic stuff.  As Andre said, you need to enable
debugging so you can see exactly what is going on with the connection.
You could also try with an account on another provider - the obvious one
is gmail, but the connection into the Google servers isn't as stable as
it could be at times.

Finally, you could try using Evo from a current live distro (such as
Fedora) - that has Evo 3.10.x so is an easy way to see if it is a
version problem.  BUT don't try it with a POP account - you will end up
downloading your mail to the live distro and then it will be lost when
you shut the distro down.

Statutory warning: playing with mail accounts and servers and clients
runs the risk that you may loose mail somewhere along the line.  You do
these things at your own risk.  It would be sensible if you can find a
throw-away account somewhere to do these things with.

P.

--
Pete Biggs                              pete.biggs @ chem.ox.ac.uk

 Chemistry IT Support queries to help itsupport chem ox ac uk