Re: [Evolution] About performance

On Mon, 2013-05-13 at 13:54 -0400, Mark Filipak wrote:
On 2013/5/13 8:30 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
Yes.  3.6.x is a major release back.  3.8.x *does* fix some performance
issues, especially related to flaky connections.  Or it certainly seems
that way to me.
I'm new to Linux, Adam, so please excuse my ignorance. In my Linux virtual
machine I'm running Evolution version 3.6.2 and I've experienced sudden crashes
at start-up & while idle (not doing anything).

If you run the "evolution" command from the command line
[gnome-terminal] you may see text error messages upon the uninitiated
exit, they may be illuminating as to the reason.   But I did see such
behavior *rarely* in some versions of 3.6.x

This is generally true for UNIX apps; run them from the command line to
see stdout/stderr messags if you feel that something is amiss.

 Evo 3.6.2 is what my Software
Manager fetched when I selected to install Evolution. How does a linux-person
get and, especially, install the latest version? (Simply pointing me to a web
site is fine.)

Packaging is always a distribution specific issue.   For openSUSE, for
example, there are repositories one can subscribe[via zypper] and update
to for the 'latest' versions of software.   That means someone has to
package it - but for mainstream software like GNOME that is almost
certainly being done by someone.

<http://dominique.leuenberger.net/blog/2013/04/gnome-3-8-for-opensuse-12-3-go-get-it/>

So it will depend on what distribution you are using, and will probably
only be available to sit on top of the latest release of that distro.