Re: [Evolution] About performance

But man this is kind of the same problem of the known kernel IO problem
that also I reported and nobody not much people trust just because they
didn't see any problem.

Because one person reporting problems is not usually credible - it's
indicative of a misconfiguration or an issue elsewhere.  Yes, it
sometimes is a problem, and given an infinite amount of resources all
such things would be investigated - but with limited (very limited)
resources, the developers have to concentrate on the things that have
the most impact for the most people.

The same occurs in evolution. Just because it works well for you it does
not mean it's  working well.

I can tell you that performance and usability degraded over time.

but not for most people.  My experience is that Evolution has become
more stable and more usable over the last few releases.  And yes, it has
become faster and more responsive.

To be honest most of the grouching about the stability and speed of Evo
seems to be coming from Ubuntu users - that may be because there are
just more users of Ubuntu than other distros; or it could be something
that the Ubuntu packagers have done to Evo; or it could be some
interaction of Evo with other libraries that Ubuntu have modified.
That's not to say that there aren't reported problems with other
distros, but they don't seem to make Evo unusable like it reportedly
does on Ubuntu.

If I'm taking my time explaining what's the problem I suppose that
someone should take some time in investigating what can be wrong. It's
not a waste of time because doing it will improve overall usabiliy of
all users.

I'm not blaming. I'm just warning about a problem that made me switch.

Hope you understand that I love the program and that's why I'm telling.
That's not blaming.

Please take time to analyze what I'm telling. I suppose that I'm not the
only one that suffered of this.

Have you filed bug reports in bugzilla about it?  That's the only way
that it's going to get into the developers list of things to look at -
the more people that file bugs, especially if they turn out to be the
same problem, the more likely that it will be looked at.

Note: My current version is: 3.6.4. And crashed while writing this on
Thunderbird. So I didn't touched anything when crashed.

If it crashes while doing nothing, then you really need to get a
backtrace on it with all the symbol packages installed so that someone
can see exactly where and why it is crashing.  Useful information on
doing this is at

  http://projects.gnome.org/evolution/bugs.shtml

I suppose it's a small bug. But this is not the problem. Problem is
performance.

File bugs about it.  That's the only way the developers can get a view
on systemic problems and can spot patterns.

It's also very helpful if when you do submit a bug following a posting
to this list, that you tell us the bug ID - at least then if some one
searches the list archives (because we ALL do that before posting, don't
we) they can at least see if the problem has been fixed, or can add a
comment to the bug.

Finally, the developers make advances and improvements and bug fixes in
the current version and only bug fixes in the previous version - so it
is always worthwhile running the most up to date version before
criticizing things too much.

P.