Re: [Evolution] Involuntary folder relocations

Brewster Gillett wrote:
Like probably many of you, I have a love-hate relationship with Evo,

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

Not I, no hate at all.

Nope no hate here either ...

Perhaps that's too strong a term. But it's difficult to feel warm
and fuzzy about a program that, in the "CONTACTS", invites you to
populate a "SORT-BY" field, ("File under") and then completely ignores
it. In every version of Evo going back quite a few, the Contacts list
pops up sorted on *first* name; I have inquired about this, and searched
the FAQs, and never found an answer. It strains credulity for me to
believe that nobody else has ever noticed, or commented, on that
particular Evo peccadillo. Does nobody *use* the Contacts list?

Have you filed a bug for it?

Adam:

In general it seems that software packaged with Ubuntu is quite thorny.

bg:

I'm unclear on how that relates to the problem I've described...
... are you suggesting that the 3.2.3. Evo shipped with Ubuntu is
somehow different from the one shipped with, say, Red Hat?

Yes. The packagers may not modify the underlying high level code, but
they make decisions on compile time and packaging options that affect
how it runs.  They also compile it themselves, so the executable code
*is* different and is dependent on different libraries.

bg:

Strictly in the sense of causation, in that, yes, I may have made some
odd or untoward clicks in inappropriate places whilst navigating around,
perhaps. As to the reality of the condition now manifesting, that is not
subject to any doubt whatsoever.

In my experience of supporting thousands of mail users, mysterious moves
of mail and folders is virtually always inadvertent mouse drags - the
few times it wasn't it was because of IMAP issues.

bg:

This has cropped up a time or two in previous versions, where it didn't
go away until the next upgrade. Perhaps I should be looking into finding
a version later than 3.2.3 that will function under 12.04?

*If* there is a problem, then it won't be fixed by the Evo devs in 3.2.x
since that is now obsolete, so you will need to use a more recent
version anyway.

It just strikes me as very odd that Evo let me move that subfolder from
its inappropriate placement back to where it belongs, but will not allow
the primary folder to be moved back to the "top"

It strikes me that that may be an issue with the underlying file system
- perhaps there is already a file of the name required, so it can't
rename the Maildir folder to the necessary filename.  The folder
hierarchy in a Maildir system is encoded in the filename, not in the
underlying filesystem directory structure.

- and is compounding
the felony by throwing up an "error" window with nothing written in it.

Certainly the blank error box is probably a bug - even if the process
doesn't return a sensible error, the fact it doesn't should be
displayed.

P.