Re: [Evolution] Involuntary folder relocations

On Mon, 2013-03-11 at 12:01 -0700, Brewster Gillett wrote:
Like probably many of you, I have a love-hate relationship with Evo,

Not I, no hate at all.

It's a very capable and comprehensive program

yes, it does.

, but it does seem to love to put a stick in your spokes when you
least expect it.  Evolution 3.2.3 under Ubuntu 12.04.

In general it seems that software packaged with Ubuntu is quite thorny.

Evo has decided, not based AFAIK on any action(s) I took, to move some
of my folders to entirely different and random spots, and random orders,
in the folder tree.

Yeah.... I really doubt that.

 This would be largely unobjectionable if it would
allow me to move them all back where they belong, but it does not.
I will try to lay out a comprehensive description - bear with me.
EXAMPLE:
The folder "Forms-l", originally located under "On This Computer",
originally had two sub-folders situated under it in the tree;
"F-L vetting", and "F-Larchives". For arcane reasons of its own, Evo
has moved all three and rearranged them, so that now "Forms-l" and
"FL vetting" are resting under "Health", and "FLarchives", mirable
dictu, still occupies its traditional place just under "Forms-l".
So I'm thinking, I will just move them back where they belong.
Not so fast, sez Evo. Here's the sequence I performed:
(1) Moving "FL vetting" back under "Forms-l".
* highlight "FL vetting"
* click FOLDER
* click MOVE FOLDER TO...
* highlight "Forms-l"
* click "Move"
And it worked. "Forms-l" now shows its two subfolders under it where
they belong. Now to move "Forms-l" back to where *it* belongs:
* highlight "Forms-l"
* click FOLDER
* click MOVE FOLDER TO...
* highlight "On This Computer"
* click "Move"
And nothing happens - no move takes place, *AND* I get the yellow bar
at the top of the screen which usually denotes some form of error
message, but with nothing in it except the "Dismiss" block.
I considered the possibility that Evo is lumbered with a bug which does
not allow it to "MOVE" folders which have subfolders. But testing has
shown that unlikely, because it is also refusing to move folders with
*no* subs under them.
BTW the affected folders also have filter rules applied to them, so
naturally the filter rules subroutine is not finding them, meaning that
until I solve this, I have to hunt or do search through "Inbox" to
get their traffic.
I've looked through what FAQs I could find, and did not find this
problem addressed. Anyone have any ideas?

I've seen some occasional oddities with IMAP folder moves - but then who
knows who to blame...  I do not recall every seeing an issue with local
"On this computer" folders.

--
Adam Tauno Williams  GPG D95ED383