Re: [Evolution] Evolution on 64 bits Linux system

On Tue, 2013-07-30 at 13:57 -0600, Brian A Anderson wrote:
The reason top posting takes place could have nothing to do with
office
usage it has to do with where the mail editing routines places the
bloody cursor in the the original message.

In the version of Evolution (3.4.4) that I run on my Linux machine it
places the cursor at the beginning of line first line.
So Evolution is really the culprit here.
TO do the bottom posting like I did here, I had to move the cursor to
the bottom of the message.

If top posting is so offensive, you might want to key the cursor
placement to the use of reply  to list.

And how do you suggest Evo automatically detect what the list policy is?

You might want to look into the existing Preferences: Composer
Preferences->Put cursor at bottom when replying. That of course is a
global preference. Perhaps we need more support for list messages,
including per-list preferences. Something to think about.

The cursor option appeared after I made just this point several years
ago, but many people don't seem to have noticed it.

However there is a danger that people will just quote the entire message
instead of quoting selectively. Widely accepted netiquette is to insert
comments after the (possibly multiple) parts you want to comment on, and
eliminate the rest. Top-posting completely destroys this.

poc