Re: [Evolution] IMAP mail location pointing to the evolution folder

On Sat, 2013-08-03 at 21:54 +0800, RICAFORT ALFREDO wrote:
I wanted to access my emails in Evolution.  My 'Receiving Email'
setting is '...folders manage by Evolution'. As I know this means that
my emails are stored in Maildir format.

You know that?  Because, it depends.

Now I wanted to access these emails
through IMAP, in particular using dovecot.

Setup a Dovecot server, create an account on the server, setup an IMAP
account in Evolution, and then you can just drag-n-drop them to the
server account.  Access them from there from then on.

Would there be a problem if I just point my
'mail_location=~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local'? I don't plan to
send or delete emails through IMAP. I just need to read them.

It might work I suppose.  *If* your *version* of Evolution and your
*version* of Dovecot agree *exactly* on the mail format.  Note that you
will still have concurrency issues as reading messages via IMAP [just
*READING* them] potentially changes the meta-data.

If it works - good. If it does not work, including deleting or
scrambling your data, it is *NOT* the fault of Evolution.  You are doing
something this is non-standard and generally a bad idea.  If you want to
access messages via IMAP - then just use IMAP.  Performance is very
good.