Re: [Evolution] Speed of restore - Evolution 3.2.3

On Tue, 2012-11-06 at 10:17 -0500, Matthew Barnes wrote:
On Tue, 2012-11-06 at 09:36 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> 2) AFAIK Evo backup and restore is not really designed for this
> scenario. It's more for migrating to a new system. In fact I never use
> it even for regular backups as I already back up my entire account.
> (Doesn't everybody?)

On that point, the Backup/Restore tool was originally written as a
workaround for the fact that account data was kept in GConf, and that
copying your (at the time) $HOME/.evolution folder to another machine
did not actually carry over your accounts, as many users (justifiably)
expected.

Just to be perfectly clear: the Backup/Restore tool is a hack.

Now that the account storage problem is finally solved in Evolution 3.6,
I'm starting to question whether it's still worth maintaining the tool,
given the abuse it takes and the frequent complaints of it not working
properly and lack of attention it gets from developers.

To be honest I'm rather inclined to just throw away the backup part, and
temporarily keep the restore part as a standalone command-line tool, and
remove any mention of it from the user interface.

How much of a disruption would this cause for users?

Matthew Barnes
I thought it was the suggested was of migration between disparate releases?
If I want to move an 'x' Evolution release to say a 'y' release, what way would there
be of doing it without backup/restore?